From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|• Total||1,466 km2(566 sq mi)|
|Elevation||461 m (1,512 ft)|
|• Estimate (2007)||72,957|
|• Density||49.7/km2(129/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+5)|
|Number of Union councils||33|
Gujar Khan (Urdu: گوجرخان ) is a city in Rawalpindi District, Punjab, Pakistan. It is the headquarters of Gujar Khan Tehsil, the largest tehsil of Punjab. It is approximately 55 kilometres southeast of Islamabad, the capital of Pakistan and 220 km to the north west ofLahore, capital of Punjab. Gujar Khan is bounded on the north by Rawalpindi, Islamabad andAttock, on the south by Jhelum, Lahore and Gujrat, on the east by Azad Kashmir and Kahutaand on the west by Chakwal and Khushab. The city has a population of approximately 73,000. Gujar Khan lies at the heart of the Pothohar cultural region. The area has considerable natural resources in the form of petroleum and natural gas.
The region is also the ancestral land of all the Kukhrains of India. these include the sub castes of Anand, Bhasin, Suri, Bhalla, Sethi, Ghandhoke, Chadha, Kohli. Many famous Indians (including the current Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh) are ancestrally from this region.
Gujar Khan is situated on the Islamabad-Lahore National Highway. Travel within Gujar Khan is limited primarily to auto-rickshaws and buses & sazoki.
Gujar Khan Railway Station is on the main line of Pakistan Railways. Trains operate to Karachi, Lahore, Peshawar, Quetta and Rawalpindi.Islamabad International Airport is situated approximately 45 kilometres from Gujar Khan.
Raja Pervaiz Ashraf the Current Prime minister is elected from Gujarkhan`s national assembly seat. Gujar Khan is administratively subdivided into 33 Union Councils; whereas City Gujar Khan is sub-divided into 3 union councils:
According to the 1998 census of Pakistan, the city had a population of 57,099.
Large reserves of oil and gas were discovered in February 2002 at Tobra, about ten kilometres from Gujar Khan. The field is being developed by the Oil and Gas Development Company. The field could produce 1,600 barrels of crude oil daily. The Ahdi oil and gas field is about 30 km from Gujar Khan, situated near Daultala town and is being operated by Pakistan Petroleum. According to the Oil and Gas Development Company, huge oil and gas reserves have been discovered at Missa oil and gas field, 5 kilometres from Gujar Khan. The sources said that the drilling at well no. 3 of the Missa Kaswal oil and gas field at Tobra led to the discovery. The field could produce 1,600 barrels of crude daily.
Gujar Khan is 2 kilometres from the Dohngi Dam and about 35 kilometres from the much larger Mangla Dam.
Future of the city
The city is expanding at a great speed but no space is left for expansion. It is in dire need of a ring road encirciling the city so that city may expand comfortably. This ring road is supposed to be one km away from the edges of city so that city may get a reduced traffic burden in the center and new markets may be available for people and new housing space may be available. Now, the Prime Minister of Pakistan is expected to fulfill this need...
Sangni Fort is a fort built by Maha Raja of Punjab on the borders of Gujar Khan and Kashmir. It is on the road to Bewal through Daryala, on a high rock with only one approach. It is near Barra dari, a housing scheme with two ancient place. Dhandgali Bridge is an old bridge made up of wood and ropes. It is an important visiting place. Moreover,Lakhtala is a rocky area having graves of pious people.
2008 election results
On 18 February 2008, parliamentary elections were held, the results in Gujar Khan are as follows:
|Raja Pervaiz Ashraf||NA-51||Pakistan Peoples Party||80,221||39%|
|Raja Tariq Kiani||PP-3||Pakistan Peoples Party||33757||34%|
|Raja Shoukat Aziz Bhatti||PP-4||Pakistan Muslim League (Q)||38437||36%|
- Changa Maira
- Bawali Shareef
- Dhangdev Sayedaan
- Chehari Pharwal Dolal
- Bhangali Sharif
- Jajja Rajpoot ( Cadet College Jajja)
- Thakra Mohra
- Islampurra jabber
- Chak Rajghaan
- Usman Zada Adra
- Bhai Khan
- dera muslim
Nagail Umar khan( mohra matyal)
List of banks
Gujar Khan has branches of all the major banks, including National Bank of Pakistan, Habib Bank, MCB Bank, NIB Bank, Summit Bank,Standard Chartered Bank, United Bank, and Punjab Bank.
Gujar Khan has one main hospital, Tehsil Headquarters Hospital. Government Rural Health centers are also working in Mandra, Doultala & Qazian. Other hospitals are Hamid Hospital,Mubarak Hospital, Ali And Zeeshan Hospital, Zahid Hospital, Trama Centre, Abu-Bakar Dental Hospital and Jinnah Hospital. A new hospital is being built in the area of Sukho in Gujar Khan by the Azmat Welfare Foundation, a British Charity, set up in 2010, to provide free healthcare for the poor and needy, in the area. The Azmat hospital should be ready to start seeing patients as early as December 2012.
- Saleem Akhtar Memorial Welfare Trust Library. Currently, Mr. Bhatti Tariq Sharif is the trustee of the library.
- Al Mehria Library
The PTCL provides the main network of landline telephones. PTCL's one Main Switching Unit(MSU) of 10,000 land lines in main city of Gujer Khan is working along with its many remote exchanges at Mandra, Noordolal, Doultala, Kalyam Awan, and Bewal. Wise Communication System Private Limited (WISECOMM) is also delivering land line services to Gjar Khan. Many ISPs, as well as all major mobile phone companies operating in Pakistan, provide services to the city. Five cellular networks (Zong, Warid, Ufone, Telenor, and Mobilink) are also operating in the city and its suburbs.
- Sarwar Shaheed College
- Government Technical Training Institute
- Government College for Women
- Government Institute of Commerce
- Cadet College Jajja
- Super Wings Group of Colleges Gujar Khan
- Gujar Khan College of Commerce (GCC)
- Punjab Group of Colleges
- Indus Group of Colleges
- Gentry College
- Pakistan Institute of Commerce and Computer Sciences
- IQRA College of Commerce & Computer Sciences
- Mother Foundation Information Technology Centre Gujar Khan
- City College
- UK Linkers, Gujar Khan
- Mother Welfare Foundation, Information Technology Centre
- Pascal College of Computer Sciences]
- Al-Hijra Girls College of Arts and Education
- NICE College
- Scholars College
- Lincoln Public High Secondary School and College Gujar Khan (branch 1)
- Al-Sardar Foundation Gujar Khan
- Pascal Computer College
- National Institute of Innovative Technologies
- The Knowledge School Gujar Khan
- Saint Mary's Cambridge School (Reg) Kot Seydan Ward No:16
- Al-Hijra Islamic School
- Abru-e-Islam Model School near City Palace
- Fauji Foundation Model School
- Dar-e-Arqam School
- Misbah Public High School
- Islamia School
- Government M.C. Boys High School
- Askari Public School
- The Educators
- Base School System
- Crescent Education System
- Zain ul Abideen Model School
- Sir Syed Public Secondary School for Girls, Majeed More, G.T. Road
- The Rule School
- Alied School
- Pakistan secondary school Gujarkhan WARD (15)
- Ibn-e-seena Public School and Girls College
- GHS Sukho
× Paragon modren secendary schools gujarkhan
Gujar Khan industrial estate was established in 1979 and sits on the main Grand Trunk Road just outside the main city. The total area of industrial estate is 17.44 acres (70,600 m2).
- Oil and Gas Development Corporation Limited
- Pakistan Petroleum Limited
- Lakson Tobacco Company Limited, acquired by Philip Morris International in 2007
- Kohinoor Gujar Khan Mills Limited.
Mahmood Printing Press, Iqbal Market Railway Road, Gujar Khan. Ph: 051-3515649
|This article's list of residents may not follow Wikipedia's verifiability or notability policies. (July 2012)|
- Bhatti Tariq Sharif,Hon Investment Councellor Mauritius,Member Board of governors Oversease Pakistanis,Chairmain Italy Pakistan Business Forum,Trustee Saleem Akhtar Memorial Welfare Trust
- Sajid Mahmood Bhatti,Chairmain Alnaqeeb Builders ,senior rahnuma Muslim League Pakistan,awarded by many victory award's ,social services awardsand also the title of Prince of Gujar Khan
- Ashfaq Pervaiz Kayani(Current Army Chief)
- Mohabbat Hussain Qureshi (late), Retired Senior Headmaster of Govt. Islamia High School
- Kuptan Shaikh Barkat Hussain (Gold Medalist) Ward#8.
- Shaikh Muhammad Amin (Ghazi) Ward#8.
- Shaikh Abdul Hameed (Leader) former Vice-Chairman of the Municipal Committee in 1983-87 of Gujar Khan.
- Shaikh Alladita Chairman of the Town Committee in 1940.
- Ashfaq Parvez Kayani (Current Army Chief)
- Sawar Muhammad Hussain – Nishan-e-Haider
- Sarwar Shaheed-Nishan-e-Haider
- General Sawar khan, former Governor of Punjab
- Raja Pervaiz Ashraf, Current Prime Minister of Pakistan
- Malek Dad Bhatti Ex TMO Gujarkhan
- Alhajj Muhammad Sharif Bhatti "Late" (President of Saleem Akhtar Memorial Welfare Trust Gujarkhan)
- Raja Lehrasab Khan (Chair person Cadet College Jajja)
- Raja Sharif Shad (Founder of Potoharee Lughat/Dictionary)
- Master Tara Singh of Tara Garh (prominent Sikh political and religious leader)
- Talat Mehmood Bhatti, Owner of 4 Star Catering and Wedding Ceremonies (BEWAL)
- Ismail Ahmed, (Renowned Poet, Columnist, Intellectual)
- Muhammad Banaras Bhatti Manjotha
- Ali Haider, owner of 5 Star hotel
- Raja Osama Azkar (Changa Bangial)
- Stefan Helders. "World Gazzeteer". Retrieved 2007-07-02.
- Election Commission of Pakistan. "Zila, Tehsil & Town Councils Membership for Punjab". Retrieved 2007-07-02.
- Population Census Organization, Government of Pakistan. "List of Administrative Units of Pakistan (Tehsil/Taluka)". Retrieved 2007-07-02.
- Ramesh Chandra Majumdar; Bhāratīya Itihāsa Samiti (1954). The History and Culture of the Indian People: The classical age. G. Allen & Unwin. p. 64. "."
- Towns & Unions in the City District of Rawalpindi
- 1998 Census details - Official website of Rawalpindi District
- Asia Times Online (Holdings) Ltd. "Business in Asia". Retrieved 2007-07-02.
- "Election Commission of Pakistan".